Monday, October 2, 2023

Blog Post #8

    In the video where Catherine Crump is speaking about police tracking, the issues she is speaking on do not effect me or my family much. Most of my family would agree that they think it is important that the police force has access to certain weapons and equipment. When it comes to police tracking license plate numbers which then can be traced back to more details about where the driver has been, I do not think this anything too crazy because the police have so much access and if there is nothing to hide it should not matter. At the end it is helpful for the police when a serious issues occurs and they need the data. I do not think there is much the government can do because they are collecting data as well along with the police with these issues. They have access to many more devices that have to do with collecting data that we may not even know about yet. 


    Christopher Sighoian talks all about the surveillance that comes with your phone and other devices. For me and my family we all have a phone and different things like Amazon Alexa so this is something we all can relate to. Many times when I talk about products or search for them on google I will be scrolling on social media and see an ad for the item I was just looking at. According the video the government is aware of this and does not support it. In order to stop this they could make it a law that companies cannot automatically turn the feature on without the users consent to do so. To protect ourselves from our privacy being invaded this way we could just not buy products such as the Amazon Alexa or Google Home. This way we are limiting the ways companies can do this to us.


   

Darieth Chisolm discusses how she had explicit photos of her posted online without her consent. This is not something that me nor anyone I know can relate to but it is something very important that should be discussed. When sending pictures of yourself to someone it is very important to make sure these are not getting saved without your consent. People can do anything they want with them which includes posting them online to a website. The process to take these down is not easy and is something that should be easier for people. The government should not be allowing anyone to post photos of anyone online, it should only be allowed that you can post pictures of yourself online and on websites. With a certain verification system making sure only those that approve of the images have the final say. In doing so we should be more careful in who we send pictures to and what those pictures are of.  If it is not something that we would be ok with putting on certain websites the images should not be sent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: Our Relationship With Technology

    A big part of my generation is technology. Growing up I always knew a life where technology was around. Starting in elementary school I ...